Sunday, December 06, 2009

Snow Day


I am watching our first snowfall. We had wet flurries one day that did not accumulate but this is real snow. It is covering the tree branches and grasses and everything else in the landscape and is oh, so beautiful. I'll see if I can dig out a photo from another time for the spot above. We are expecting fifteen cm.

I've been lucky all these years to have a studio which gives a wide look apon the natural world. In winter, to see a variety of wildlife through these windows while I summarize a daily weather report can be magical. Today reminds me to add birdseed to the town list. I painted all morning and intend to go back after lunch. Yesterday was very dark and natural light for painting was not so good. Today is excellent. The days are noticeably getting shorter with less afternoon time. That will change shortly though with the equinox, much to my pleasure.

I am still thinking about a way I could be working on at least two of my art forms at the same time. I cut out little models of all the furniture in this second studio room and have been moving them in various locations around a drawn-to-scale room with windows and doors. I have two large windows in the room and the challenge is to have each table looking out the window while I do my things.I have become resigned to the fact that my computer will occupy a much smaller table but it must allow me to look out the window at my beautiful landscapes.



I could not find a photo of my view with a first snow except for a first snow with the pond frozen which it is not at this time. The photo above is my friend's little shed a few days after a fairly heavy first snow. It does show how pretty it is at the first of the year. There will be a time soon enough that I'm tired of the whole thing. I will enjoy it's beauty for today.

I always play this song at this time of year. I am not a big fan of Christmas and sometimes can barely tolerate it. This year has not been so bad but this song is often how I ground myself during December. Our talented and beautiful Maritimer, Natalie MacMaster plays fiddle so wonderfully in this song by the talented and beautiful as well, Alison Krauss: Get Me Through December. One of the songs I 'collect' is Baby, It's Cold Outside. Though it's not that cold it's wintry (See poll on right for another day or two or read last post) out there. I was making a Christmas CD for my jazz-loving aunt and uncle last night and added this version of it by Liza Minnelli and Alan Cumming. For some reason this song doesn't seem to be uploading. I will try one more time but may have to come back. This happens quite often.

4 comments:

Kat said...

Cuidado,
I am just not ready for snow. The weather has been uncharacteristically warm, and I have yet to steel myself for cold. But after saying that, I have to say how every pretty newly fallen snow is.

Cuidado said...

Yes, I feel the same. We have had the warmest November on record and I wanted it to last forever. It is absolutely gorgeous outside this morning. I took a few shots from the door but may have to dig out the boots and go further afield after breakfast.

Carol Tiffin James said...

I think my view from my computer/sewing room is one of the best things about moving to the "country." I made curtains for them, but I never get around to closing them. I love it when I see something move out of the corner of my eye. It's usually a squirrel, though I'm still hoping for a deer. Nature is beautiful in its own way every season, isn't it?

Cuidado said...

Oh, Carol, a comment I missed. I was thinking of moving things around in my rooms but can't stand the thought of changing my computer view.