Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Cast a Wish


Even though this has been a rainy day and I'd planned to work in the garden, I am having a most marvelous day off. I am finishing up some projects, generally reorganizing, doing the ongoing day to day chores, specifically reorganizing dressers and closets, and relaxing to the max while it all occurs. It's what I need today. I slept in and even feel good about that though I mentioned to someone earlier that it felt half my day was gone.

This afternoon I picked flowers in the rain for some friends and myself. I love that the apple blossom season lasts so long with so many trees flowering at different times. Some are still just budding. Colours are saturated on rainy days and there is no shadow to compete with pure colour. Life is so beautiful visually, is it not? Moving on from visually, the lilac is in bloom too and smells really wonderful. I have them upstairs and down. I feel so lucky to have natural country views and aromas to help define my existence.


The music chosen for today is about rain. I've been telling you how badly we need rain and I'm glad for every millimeter we get. It just happens that it rains every day off and is sunny/cloudy on my work days. I still don't have seeds planted and already know that is not going to be an optimal year in my garden. Everything planted at once and late in the season is what is going to happen, not the usual well-organized garden that I've managed to maintain for years.

Bop Ensemble does a great version of one of my favorite Dylan tunes, Buckets of Rain. I have many great versions of the song and try to find an excuse to feature them every year. Dylan's song is awesome and so is rain. Here is a wonderful version from Jimmy LaFave and one from the author himself, Bob Dylan.

I need a day off when the sun is shining brightly and the wind is not blowing a gale as has been happening for a month. Saturday, please, if it's not too much to ask. Last post, I asked for someone to cook for me and that didn't happen. Maybe I should stop saying these things out loud.

8 comments:

nan said...

I can nearly SMELL the lilacs! Lovely photos! Hope you had a wonderful day off!

Cuidado said...

It was great and really relaxing. I have a long day today though.

Ralph said...

What wonderful photos! That setting for the apple blossoms is beautiful.

Dan said...

Rain is good for the garden but it spoiled my plans yesterday as I tried to do a photo shoot on a lobster boat in the Bay of Fundy. I don't mind fog and six to ten-foot swells but the rain is really hard on the camera gear...

Cuidado said...

Oh, Ralph, the apple blossoms are beautiful. My yard is gorgeous and the countryside is spectacular.

Cuidado said...

I can't believe my luck. Saturday was supposed to be sunny and it is now rain is forecast. Now, I don't have a day off till the 15th.

Carol Tiffin James said...

As always, your photos look like something out of a magazine! I can tell you have an artist's eye. Yes, we needed the rain also. We also need a lawnmower after the latest round of rain!

Cuidado said...

Carol - Ha, ha. My son mowed on Sunday, the only day available. I bought tons of plants for my pots yesterday and am really hoping to get these in plus seeds in the garden this weekend.. All the complaining I did about no rain.......