Monday, November 17, 2008

Letters From the Past


I'm having a very nice day today. I had a To Do list but didn't follow it. Instead I did what I wanted at each given moment. I got lots done, just not what I had planned. There's always tomorrow, eh?

I wrote my grandson a letter. He didn't know what a letter was so I told him I'd send him one. Can you imagine? Any of us over fifty certainly knows what letter writing is about because letters were vital parts of communication in our past. Emails have taken over but they're quite different. I have saved years of correspondence and went through it all one weekend probably 10 years ago when a friend wanted to explore some old books I had. While he was rummaging through the books I was holding and remembering all those letters. I moved to Toronto from Massachusetts at one point and have awesome letters from friends, and groups of friends; sometimes big sheets of paper laid out during parties that were later mailed to me. It's possible my grandson will never get another friendly letter, only business letters. Amazing to comprehend sometimes.

Today's music is for Tom Waits fans. Here's Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis and Telephone Call From Istanbul. I was tempted to play some dance songs but these songs go better with letter writing. I had my dance early today - before I even got dressed and dance music has been in my head all day.

7 comments:

Ocean said...

Sorry I missed your call, I was at the gym. Call me tomorrow. Love you

Cuidado said...

Ok, Sweetheart.

Kat said...

Cuidado,
I loved writing letters. They had such permanence and could be read and reread. There is something to that which doesn't translate to e-mails.

Even I have succumbed to the e-mails to far off friends though I do still send Christmas cards with personal notes inside.

Cuidado said...

It was fun yesterday, writing the letter, Kat but I can't imagine doing it again in the near future. A lost art, I'd say. i have quite a collection.

Anonymous said...

K is looking forward to the letter. And S keeps saying 'is it spring yet, because Grandman is coming in the spring'. She tells random people out of the blue 'my grandma is coming in the spring, but the spring is after the winter'.

Cuidado said...

The letter is going out today.

Carol Tiffin James said...

I have tons of letters in my "past" boxes. My parents saved letters I wrote home when I was in college. That brings back a lot of memories! The only problem with letters these days is that since typing is my livelihood, my handwriting has gotten illegible. If I write letters today, they are always typed. I do miss getting chatty letters in the mail -something fun besides bills.

Glad to see you are back online!