Tuesday, December 26, 2006

James Brown


Could there be a worse Christmas for soul and blues lovers with, after Dutchie Mason's passing, we hear the news of the Godfather of Soul, James Brown? I couldn't believe it, really. I truly wanted to name my firstborn after him but got reasoned out of it.

Today's music, of course, is all from James. One I'd never heard him do, Your Cheatin Heart, is already up. Here's the link. The other two......well let's say I've danced to these tunes tons of times and still when I have serious house-cleaning to do, they're first in the cd selection. This version of Sex Machine is pretty darn good and Get Up Offa That Thing is such a classic. I knew heaven was going to be special this weekend.

Oh the food in this house! Turkey, ham, lobster, potato salad, leftover mashed potatoes and veggies, fruit, desserts, drinks, candies and chocolate and nuts and on and on and on.....I'll feel guilty later but for right now, I'm enjoying it. My kids just arrived with their biggest friend and made a dent in the turkey and bread but only a dent.

My grandson is three today. The alien age, I think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it the alien age?


Every year at Thanksgiving, when we all say what we are thankful for, I am always most thankful that you didn't name me James Brown!

-A

Christine said...

lol. I can't believe I've never heard that story before... I never knew you wanted to name A. that....

A. I can truly see why you'd be grateful not to be stuck with that... You should buy your dad a big present (I'm assuming it was his vote that convinced your mom to change her mind)

A friend of mine has a boyfriend named Jamie... When they had been dating for a few months we were talking about him and I realized that I didn't know his last name. I asked her what it was and she quietly said "Taylor". I started laughing... his mom actually named him James Taylor... That's just WRONG... but not as wrong as James Brown would have been.

Merry Christmas and hugs from the family here in Chipman!

Anonymous said...

Rickey's brother-in-laws name is James Brown
Cath

Cuidado said...

But is he a Sex Machine?