Friday, August 11, 2006

In Memorium



I hd a brother who died at age twenty-seven after a bone marrow transplant meant to cure his leukemia. He would be turning fifty on the twenty second of this month and I've been wondering about some way to celebrate this. One of my waitresses lost a brother about thirteen years ago and I asked her yesterday if her family did ritual things to remember him. They don't but she suggested donating to the TransCanada Trail in his name. They put names of donors or whoever the donor wants to name in pavillions across the trail. I think this is a very good idea and will do it if I can be assured that it will go into a pavillion in his province, not just anywhere.

Today when I came home and checked my e-mail, I found a bunch of old family photos that my niece had scanned and sent around. The top photo is dated July, 1957. My brother would be 11 months and I would be 3 1/2. I thought it was very cool that she sent these today because I've been talking about my brother a lot recently and he's strongly present in me right now. Very good to have received these. The bottom is dated June, 1959. I started school a year early and this would have been at the end of first grade for me. You can tell I always loved my brother. I still miss him to this day, twenty-three years after his death.

Music for today: Gordon Lightfoot reminds me of my brother and I snooping to see if we could find Christmas gifts and finding a 45 of Gordon Lightfoot and Hank Williams Jr....I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I didn't realize that Dave's 50 birthday would have been this month. I doubt that I ever would have realized since I usually don't think about him very much. I was so young when he died, I never really knew him. Not like the rest of you did. I've only got a small handfull of memories of him since I was very young (6) when he died.

It's always been something that I've wished for. That I could have known him better, like I do the rest of you. (the Aunts and Uncles)

I'm glad that the pics I scanned came at such a good time for you. It's strange. I just scanned them this morning even though they'd been sitting around for well over a year waiting for me to get around to them. I must have been subconsciously waiting for now... *wink*

Talk to you soon and hugs to O and K

love ya,
Christine