Thursday, August 17, 2006

Lila and Skyla




A few photos of our pretty sky at different times of the day are in order. I don't have much else but flowers and cats.

PEI is shutting down already. It's been said that AFTER Old Home Week, we shut down but from my experience running a business out in the country, Old Home Week itself is the turning point not afterward. Funny, because the weather is fantastic.....hot still but not humid like it was in July. I left work for a couple of hours yesterday and could have sent home waitresses every day this week but they need the money so didn't. I'll be in trouble with my board about it but.....

I spent the day outside in various gardens. Should have taken some before and after photos. I had a weird coincidence at work, meeting three relatives of a good friend after her telling me about them on Tuesday. Small little world out there.

Music today: Some more Lila Downs. I never get tired of her. I first heard her during the movie, Frida. I kept leaning over to S. during the movie saying, "There had better be a soundtrack for this movie." There was, thank goodness, and though it took me a while to track it down, I was happy and love it to this day. This song, Paloma Negra, is not from the soundtrack but is reminiscent of it...the moment where she bellows and everyone falls in love with this singer, I'm sure. She sure can bellow when she wants. She is connected with the state of Oaxaca and plays a yearly charity concert there and also plays in Puerto Escondido on occasion. I've never been lucky enough to be at either place at the same time but sure would plan a vacation around it. Pa' Toda El Ano is from her latest album, La Cantina. I put her English and Spanish versions of Cumbia del Mole on the list a while back from this newest album. It is a wholly traditional album with folk music a la Oaxaca. I love everything she does, really.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mom, here is the band I was talking about: http://www.myspace.com/nizlopi

A.

Cuidado said...

I checked them out right after you called this morning. Josh is not one of them but the three songs on my space were not bad. I downloaded a free one they had and will listen to it again. I liked them though. You do know my taste.

Anonymous said...

i like the last photo...beautiful...