Friday, May 19, 2006

Clarke

Clarke has been here a year. His birthday is Dec. 23 but he moved here, with my daughter, at five months old so it's an aniversary of sorts of his life here in PEI. He's a pretty special guy.


On the day they arrived last year it was about five minutes to three. I am an avid Oprah fan and her program was coming on. I greeted my daughter and her kitten at the door and hugged them both. I then ran into the den, flopped onto the couch, flipped on the TV and settled in for an hour with Oprah, calling my daughter to come and join me. Well Clarke got in faster, jumped up onto my outstretched legs, gave me this sweet eye-contact look, then snuggled down and slept for the hour. I fell on love....hard! Within a few days I had told my daughter that if she ever had the need to move away again, that was ok, but Clarke was staying here.....for ever!


His coat is very, very soft; pretty much like an angora cat. When I first saw him, he looked almost oily but it's because his fur is so, so fine, it clumps together. He is considered to be medium haired but it is different lengths in different places. He loves to flop over and have his belly rubbed and that is with anyone, even strangers.

He gets on well with Bella and Kenz. He is a boy and a bit of a bully at times but he's basically sweet all around. The girls had a time with a real bully and find Clarke pretty mild so actually seem to like him. I love when all three are together in one place, on a bed for instance.

As I previously stated he is not a great tree cat. Last summer he had been missing for three full days and nights. I had given up hope. I went to hang clothes on the line, called his name (after calling a million times in the three days and nights) and heard a far-away answer back. He was way in the woods behind me at the top of a huge spruce tree. I have no idea if he'd been up there the whole time but after gentle coaxing, with me standing directly against the trunk and directly below him, he slid down. He was one happy cat, and I was a happy cat mama.


Anyway, I'm glad he is here with us and I think he likes it better in the Prince Edward Island countryside than in Halifax/Dartmouth. He'd better like it here, cause he's not leaving.

1 comment:

Ocean said...

He is much much happier here than sitting on the deck in Dartmouth, but I bet he misses Brotricia.