Thursday, January 01, 2009


Though there is much more snow than in the above example (from a late winter storm) our fierce blizzard today is forming some pretty neat snow sculptures. Ones that were there this morning have long been covered over and new ones, differently shaped, have appeared. There is no snow at all on the main part of my deck but my door is completely buried under a snowdrift. My son will have to shovel to come in. I can exit through another door in an emergency.

Luckily our power is still on. I got up early to turn on the heat thinking that if the power did go out at least the house would be warm. Plows have not been out on the Island yet. That's how extreme this blizzard that began overnight is today. I've plenty to eat and drink, electricity and a telephone. It's all I need today.

Those who've been reading here for a while know that one of my all-time favorite songs is Don't Fence Me In. Here's my favorite version, by Ella. In honour of the snow barring in my back door today, you get to hear another version or two or three. Here's Roy Rogers and The Sons of the Pioneers and one by Louis Armstrong and Velma Middleton, my second favorite. It has that humourous, fun-singing that certain jazz singers did in those days which I love so much. When you need a more country mood Willie Nelson and Leon Russell can't be beat. Love that song!

Happy New Year again. I guess I said it a little prematurely yesterday.

4 comments:

Carol Tiffin James said...

I saw on our weather forecast where you would get the brunt of things. Stay safe and warm! Happy New Year!

Cuidado said...

Thanks, Carol. My son came and shoveled out my door so I can get out. Good thing too. The crows were hungry and ready to break in.

Ralph said...

I think either you've changed your email address or you're not visiting a certain account. I'm trying to send you a present I know you'll like. Send me an email.

Cuidado said...

One just sent, Ralph