Thursday, July 13, 2006

Life in the Country




We are having a welcome day of rain after hot humid weather. I so love rainy days when they're spaced between hot sunny days.

One of the photo challenges this week was animals. I used cats of course, but since then there have been lots of animals crossing my path.

The cows are back in the field behind my house. They are only in there for a couple of days at a time every few weeks so it's nice to see them. It was fun when my neighbour had dairy cows instead of beef cattle and my kids were young. Dairy cows are accustomed to being handled every day and when we were outside they were at the fence waiting for garden weeds and apples to be thrown over for them. We had names for them because they have such distinct personalities and you could easily tell them apart. Beef cattle just eat; they're constantly munching and hardly even look up.

The sheep had started to come over to the fence when I stopped for a photo but the smell or feel of grass distracted them so they all stopped and began munching; that's their job.

The rabbit was in a field at work munching away when we were leaving for the day. He didn't seem to be frightened at all. One of the waitresses walked down the driveway and it didn't seem to bother him. He just kept munching.

I think I just uncovered a theme here...farm animals and eating....hmmmm.

Please don't think I'm weird for having this song in my library but today's upload just has to be Mairzy Doats. I can't help it. I always loved that song and sang it to my kids forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sing this one to the kids too Mom. Maybe the song will help me remember more than the two sentences I just sing over and over...