Friday, September 01, 2006

Thirty Years!!!!!!




Ok, I'll wait for you. I need help celebrating and of course, have chosen music as my means of celebrating. Press the music link to the right. It opens to a new window. Play today's musical selections (or just one or as many as you want) then read the blog. I've uploaded more than my usual two.

It is thirty years today that I moved to Prince Edward Island. Shelter by Xavier Rudd and it's happy, positive style is my favorite song to begin this celebration. With it's lyrics of oceans, birds, and discovery of shelter and dreams, it's a number one pick. An old song by Rare Earth, I Just Want to Celebrate is a must in this case, too.

I had a party celebrating twenty years. A friend made up a certificate entitled, You're an Islander Now. It listed all the reasons that I'm an Islander and it was signed by everyone at the party. I'm calling a few people to come over tonight and my brother is coming over for the weekend to pick up my niece so we many have a little party but nothing like the twenty year bash.

It's hard to believe that it's not already been uploaded but my favorite version of Iris Dement's classic, Our Town is by Kate Rusby. Such a moody version might not be appropriate for a celebration but everyone who has received a cd from me in the last five years has this version.

PEI is truly a paradise for me. When I bought my land in West Cape in January '74, I fell in love with the Island and worked very hard to buy a house and move here permanantly. It took almost three years and I've never looked back. I knew I would live here forever. This is not to say I don't like to get away. Traveling is really great because I get to come home again.

I've been in my current house for 22 years. I love this house (and Love This Town by Maritimer, Joel Plaskett) and the land but the house is too big for just me so I am going to sell it. There is no other part of me except that practical, not wanting to waste money part of me that wants to leave this house but I'll never leave this Island.

Yes I'm happy on my Acre of Land by Ray LaMontagne and hope I'm still around in another thirty years. All of the music that I put up earlier in the week, when I went to West Cape is appropriate today, especially Feelin' Good by Nina Simone and I Love the Life I Live by Mose Allison. There is some further back too. Take Me Home by Tom Waits and That's my Home by kd lang and Tony Bennett. The only song I'm missing is Home by Michael Buble. I must have deleted it somewhere along the way but it would have been appropriate today too.

Anyway, I'm celebrating today, celebrating my chosen home and life and hope you'll join me.

4 comments:

xenmate said...

Congratulations C!

Cuidado said...

Thanks. Lovin' this party and my life.

Carol Tiffin James said...

Yes, congratulations! What a gift - to be able to be so content and happy!

Cuidado said...

Thanks. Like you, if I can just sell this house and simplify things a little...