Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Summer Pleas


As promised, the photo that was in the Toronto Star, though it was cropped quite differently. It was very long horizontally.

Almost finished mowing the lawn. I've been at it an hour and a half and have about twenty minutes more. Needed to do some supper prep or I'll be waiting for supper and I can't have that.

We had frost last night. It was supposed to be six overnight but when I got up it was one degree and there was heavy frost. I'd say a lot of gardens were damaged. A mate at work got up at 5:30 and watered his garden thus saved it. I remember frost at this time in '89 (I think) where many gardens were lost. For some reason, my garden wasn't harmed so I shared tomato plants with friends and relatives who had lost theirs. It certainly is rare to have frost this late but it obviously is possible. We are having a wonderful day today but the rest of the week is going to be cold and a bit rainy. We need rain but more than is forecast and we need warmth.

Maybe if we call up summer, it will come. I'm willing to try. I've got lots and lots of versions of Summertime, that old standard. Here's a long version by tenor sax virtuoso, Albert Ayler and a short one by guitarist, Gabor Szabo. More next week.

4 comments:

PJ van Zyl said...

great photo
i can see a long crop would work

Cuidado said...

Thanks for comiong back, Pete.

Gattina said...

We (in Belgium) had summer in April until 30° and now in summer it's cool and rainy. It's a strange world !

Cuidado said...

It IS very strange weather-wise, Gattina. We have such long winters that we feel cheated if spring is cold or summer is wet. Here's hoping for some warmth. We got lots of rain today.