Friday, June 30, 2006

La Llorona


My sleeping pattern has changed lately. I have gotten up at 5:30 every morning for years and years. Once in a blue moon I sleep in till 5:45 but really I don't often waver from the 5:30 time. Lately I have been waking at 3am or 4am. This morning, 3:45. I don't really find it frustrating in the morning but at night I can't keep my eyes open. My normal 10:00 bedtime has changed to 9:00 but I feel like going to bed at 8:00. What to do?

My son and his family leave the island today. I wish they'd had better weather. They didn't get to the beach as a family but my son did go jet-ski with his sister. I'm sure my grandson will remember this trip for a while as he had lots of fun with all the family members that he sees only occasionally. He got to see Clarke in person after previously seeing him only in photos. Grandma is certainly glad he's a cat lover.

Today's upload: Two versions of the latin standard La Llorona. Both are very good and very different. The version by Chavela Vargas is wonderful. This is what Amazon has to say about her 2003 gig at Carnagie Hall, which is what this version is from. On September 15, 2003, an adoring and sold-out Carnegie Hall audience gathered to pay tribute to a true legend and revolutionary. Everyone in attendance was aware of the magic and history on that stage, and was in awe of how an 84-year old woman making her Carnegie Hall debut wielded fearlessness and heartache to command the venue. Fearlessness is what brought her to the public's attention in Mexico in the late '50s when she dressed in men's clothing, smoked cigars, carried a gun, and chased women in a time when this was unimaginable. She openly seduced women with "Rancheras", Mexican folk songs of love and loss intended to be sung by men that became a transgressive force in her mouth. She's been an inspiration and muse to countless artists.

Happy listening on this last day of June, 2006.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice picture! Where are the ones of all of us? or and with Grampy and Keiran?

Cuidado said...

You can see them when you're home or I can e-mail you some.

Anonymous said...

ok send em. why not post them tho

Anonymous said...

I want pictures also.
Luv ya
Cath

Anonymous said...

I'll take some pics also.
Steve

xenmate said...

Your sleeping patterns are really odd. Mine are the opposite. Unless I force myself, I can't go to sleep early. When I have a few days with nothing to do, I simply won't feel tired until 3 to 6 am. Hence I wake up at 10am to 1pm.

I read this related article today. It might interest you:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4741340.stm

Anonymous said...

More wild monkey sex will fix ya. Make you sleep like the dead.

Anonymous said...

Very cute!! The kids are rather photogenic as well... ;-)

Cuidado said...

Wild monkey sex sounds great, anonymous, but I need a boyfriend for that. It won't be xenmate, for sure, because he'd be going to bed when I'm getting up, but wait, that may work out rather well.

Brikwall, thanks, they are very cute and their auntie paid lots of attention to them and I think they won't forget this trip because of her.

xenmate said...

cuidado: lol!