Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Electrical Woes


As I said yesterday, eastern PEI did not get the freezing rain as extremely as the western areas did. Imagine our surprise when the power went off at noon for no apparent reason. The main system has been bypassed and we have the emergency backup system in place. This is possible as our infrastructure is not th cause. They do not know why the system failed but it was not downed power lines like in the west. The folks in the west are not expected to have electricity for many days yet and many are in emergency shelters.

My sister in law arranged eye appointments at the same time so that she could provide the transportation. Of course this afternoon was the time. I arranged a ride to her workplace halfway across the island (where the photo is from) and we were waylaid by the electricity situation. I'll work on a new date tomorrow.

Lila Downs hasn't made an appearance on the blog for a while, November 20th to be exact, when attempting to restore the essentials. Mi Corazon Me Requerda and La Iguana, with it's great background chorus, should take care of that. I still play her most days and am sure I'll never tire of her. I even watch UTube clips of her performances on Frida even though I own the movie. Already up and quite popular is her Cancion Mixteca.

6 comments:

Ralph said...

Good luck with the power outages--and this music is fascinating! Never heard of Lila Downs but I like what I hear.

Cuidado said...

Try these two, Ralph:
http://media.putfile.com/Besame-Mucho21
http://media.putfile.com/Quizas-Quizas-Quizas---Lila-Downs

Ralph said...

She is so cool! The way she changes her style from song to song is amazing. Once there I thought I was listening to Piaf in Spanish!

Would you happen to have a good version of "Media Vuelta"? I learned it at Peace Corps training in Puerto Rico all those years ago and have never forgotten it. The versions I've found are very hopped up with violins and glitz--I remember an old-style arrangement, maybe from the 40s or 50s, a trio singing, very gentle and sad...

Cuidado said...

I don't but will look.

Lila was the singer in the movie Frida, about artist, Frida Kahlo. That's how I discovered her. I ran, not walked to get the soundtrack and have the movie too. It also features
Chavela Vargas. Google her for an incredibl story and chech this out. Make sure you're sitting down;
http://media.putfile.com/La-Llorona---Chavela-Vargas-73

Ralph said...

Oh. My. God. My dear, you are a woman after my own heart, over the top. That is one incredible performance, is all I can say. Thanks for the intro.

Cuidado said...

That performance is from Carnegie Hall - made in her eighties, I believe.