Saturday, May 05, 2007

Eyes On The Prize


I'm so patiently waiting for warm weather or even cool weather without wind. Your body just wants to be outside this time of year, gardening. The weather forecast promises an improvement for next week. My son and his friend are here. They've just returned from golfing and said the cool wind was bothersome.

I know I say this quite often but it bears saying again. There sure is a lot of great music out there. Most musicians and groups have their own website and myspace page. Music bloggers provide a wealth of new music every day and then there's internet radio. My computer is never silent unless I am in bed. Music is a constant source of pleasure for me and I can never get enough. Praise to the internet for music fans.

Mavis Staples has a new album out. The four cuts I've heard from We'll Never Turn Back demonstrate the great gospel/soul music I've come to expect from Mavis. I've been a big Staples Singers fan since 1970 and followed Mavis when she went out on her own. Here are a couple of cuts from the new album, Eyes On The Prize and On My Way. Here's a link to the album on Amazon to see the fantastic album cover or to buy the album.

Coincidence Number Two: A falling baby, saved twice by the same man
In Detroit sometime in the 1930s, a young (if incredibly careless) mother must have been eternally grateful to a man named Joseph Figlock. As Figlock was walking down the street, the mother's baby fell from a high window onto Figlock. The baby's fall was broken and both man and baby were unharmed. A stroke of luck on its own, but a year later, the very same baby fell from the very same window onto poor, unsuspecting Joseph Figlock as he was again passing beneath. And again, they both survived the event. (Source: Mysteries of the Unexplained)

No comments: