Thursday, May 17, 2007

Warming Things Up


Our forecasted ten cemtimeters of snow turned out to be less than one centimeter followed by light rain in the morning. Nothing to stop me from my walk. The daffodils are lying over but I think they will spring back up. I cut about thirty last night to replenish and add in the house . I now have six vases full in the downstairs and one up. I can see three from where I sit. They're wonderful. I have a couple tulips in bloom; the earliest ones by the front. The other garden needs a couple more days but this rain did a great job of adding some needed moisture.

I've been getting a fair bit of new latin music lately. I needed some specifically for a cd I made for my aunt and uncle. They should get it today or tomorrow in the mail. I ran across lots more though while I was looking for examples of their easy listening style. I am a huge fan of cumbia style of music. Today's music is some I've recently found. My favorite is Unknown Cumbia and I have no other references. The other, Cumbia En Do Menor, by Lito Barrientos Y Su Orquesta is my other new favorite. It reminds me of old 30's American jumpin' jive music, one of my favorites. The first songs on both of the music pages are jumpin' jive, though nor necessarily straight from the 30's, The original songs are from the thirties. These new cumbias are wonderful on my newest dancing playlists. Update: I have more info on the unknown cumbia. It is "El Macho" by Lisandro Meza.

More Hotel happenings for the number fourteen coincidence: Two Mr. Brysons, same hotel room
While on a business trip sometime in the late 1950s, Mr. George D. Bryson stopped and registered at the Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky. After signing the register and being given his key to room 307, he stopped by the mail desk to see if any letters had arrived for him. Indeed there was a letter, the mail girl told him, and handed him an envelope addressed to Mr. George D. Bryson, room 307. This wouldn't be so odd, except the letter was not for him, but for room 307's just-previous occupant - another man named George D. Bryson. (Source: Incredible Coincidence, Alan Vaughan)

No comments: