Thursday, May 10, 2007

Thursday Already?


Oh yes, spring has definitely sprung. Everyone who can be outside, is outside. Flowers are in bloom, there are tractors on the roads and that smell of manure is in the country air. Moods have improved all around the Island and that is a good thing. I had a hundred things to do in town so set off in the morning so that I could be home for the afternoon. Cashiers and support staff everywhere I went were pleasant and smiling.

I'm going to spread spring joy after dinner and bring tons of daffodils to the nursing home in my community to put on the tables in the diningroom.

I'm too lazy to check back to see if I have any versions of Sexual Healing up already so will put four versions of what was Marvin Gaye's huge hit just before his death. I had a version by Smokey Robinson as well but I must have deleted it for some reason. Here is the first version by Marvin Gaye. The Soul Asylum version is for the rock lovers and the jazzier, groovier, rhythmic version is from Rockapella. The names should be transposed here in my opinion. The fourth is a sexy, acoustic version by Ben Harper and Jack Johnson. Can anyone guess my favorite? I'd love to hear your guesses and I'll tell you tomorrow.

The Seventh Coincidence: Three suicide attempts, all stopped by the same Monk
Joseph Aigner was a fairlly well-known portrait painter in 19th century Austria who, apparently, was quite an unhappy fellow: he several times attempted suicide. His first attempt was at the young age of 18 when he tried to hang himself, but was interrupted by the mysterious appearance of a Capuchin monk. At age 22 he again tried to hang himself, but was again saved from the act by the very same monk. Eight years later, his death was ordained by others who sentenced him to the gallows for his political activities. Once again, his life was saved by the intervention of the same monk. At age 68, Aiger finally succeeded in suicide, a pistol doing the trick. His funeral ceremony was conducted by the same Capuchin monk - a man whose name Aiger never even knew. (Source: Ripley's Giant Book of Believe It or Not!)

No comments: