Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Fatal Spring

Click to Enlarge

Did I mention the weather yesterday? No, I didn't because I was trying to ignore the forecast and hope that "if you don't acknowledge it, it will go away." We are expecting ten centimeters of snow tonight along with some ice pellets....for good measure. You know it would have to be yesterday that I had my snow tires removed for the season.

The daffodils will recover I suppose though the weight of the snow may make them lie down. The tulips are about to bloom. This may set them back because the temps are supposed to be cold for a few days. I think we are getting some rain as well, but I'm not sure. We've had snow this late before but it's always depressing because we Maritimers need spring after our long winters.

I'll let Calexico tell you about it. Their songs, Cruel and Fatal Spring, describe tonight's weather perfectly.

Coincidence Number Thirteen: Swapped Hotel Findings
In 1953, television reporter Irv Kupcinet was in London to cover the coronation of Ellizabeth II. In one of the drawers in his room at the Savoy he found found some items that, by their identification, belonged to a man named Harry Hannin. Coincidentally, Harry Hannin - a basketball star with the famed Harlem Globetrotters - was a good friend of Kupcinet's. But the story has yet another twist. Just two days later, and before he could tell Hannin of his lucky discovery, Kupcinet received a letter from Hannin. In the letter, Hannin told Kucinet that while staying at the Hotel Meurice in Paris, he found in a drawer a tie - with Kupcinet's name on it! (Source: Mysteries of the Unexplained)

No comments: